- 50 ml olive oil
- 60 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 50 gm mild pancetta, diced
- 400 gm vialone nano rice (see note)
- 1.75 litres (7 cups) chicken stock
- 750 gm unpodded peas
- 60 gm parmesan, finely grated, plus extra to serve
- 1/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1Heat oil and half the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and pancetta and stir occasionally until onion turns golden (8-10 minutes). Add rice and stir to coat (2-3 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, pod peas, reserving pods and peas separately. Bring stock and pea pods to the simmer in a saucepan over medium heat, cook until bright green (4-5 minutes), strain (discard pea pods), return stock to pan, reduce heat to low and keep warm.
- 3Add pea stock to rice to cover and stir until almost absorbed. Continue adding stock a ladleful at a time, stirring until stock is absorbed before adding more, until rice is three-quarters cooked (20-25 minutes). Add peas and continue stirring and gradually adding stock until rice is al dente (5-6 minutes). Stir in parmesan, parsley and remaining butter, season to taste, serve hot with extra parmesan.
Vialone nano, a risotto rice, is available from select delicatessens. If it’s unavailable, substitute carnaroli. You may need to adjust the amount of stock.
This recipe is from the October 2012 issue of
Drink Suggestion: Dry Italian-style white such as a Soave. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm