- 1 chicken (about 1.5kg)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 60 ml (1⁄4 cup) chicken stock
- 2 bunches broccolini, trimmed
- 1 bunch cavolo nero, torn
- 3 garlic cloves, skin on
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Crusty bread, to serve
- 6 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 tbsp oregano leaves, plus extra to serve
- 4 garlic cloves
- 50 gm softened butter
- 1For anchovy butter, pound anchovy, oregano and garlic with a mortar and pestle, season to taste and stir in butter.
- 2Preheat oven to 190°C. Slide your fingers carefully between skin and breast of chicken to separate, then loosen as much of the skin around the legs as possible without piercing skin. Spread butter under skin with your fingers and press to distribute evenly. Tie legs together with kitchen string and stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- 3Place chicken in a roasting pan or in a large ovenproof frying pan, drizzle with extra oil and season. Pour stock into pan and roast, basting occasionally, until chicken is goldenbrown and juices run clear when a thigh is pierced with a skewer (1 hour 15 minutes). Transfer chicken to a plate to rest (20-25 minutes).
- 4Increase oven to 250°C. Toss broccolini and cavolo nero in oil and add to pan with garlic, then roast, tossing occasionally, until broccolini is tender (20-25 minutes). Season with lemon juice and return chicken to pan. Serve with bread.
Drink suggestion: textural white pinot blanc. Drink suggestion by Max Allen.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm