This dish can be assembled ahead of time and cooked just before serving. You can also use smaller trout, about 200gm each, for individual servings; just remember to reduce the cooking time.
- 50 ml olive oil
- ½ Spanish onion, finely chopped
- ½ small fennel bulb, finely chopped, fronds reserved
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2½ tsp fennel seeds
- 2 lemons, finely grated rind and juice only
- 150 gm coarse sourdough breadcrumbs
- 4 rainbow trout (about 300gm each), cleaned
- 8 thin slices flat pancetta
- 1 bunch each thyme, oregano and rosemary
- 100 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 60 ml dry white wine
- 1Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add onion, fennel and garlic and stir occasionally until soft (2-3 minutes). Add fennel seeds and cook until fragrant. Remove from heat, add lemon rind and breadcrumbs, season to taste and stir to combine well. Cool completely, stir through reserved fennel fronds, set aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 200C. Stuff breadcrumb mixture in cavities of rainbow trout. Wrap each trout with two pancetta slices, season to taste.
- 3Scatter herbs in base of roasting pan, large enough to fit trout in a single layer, and arrange trout on top. Combine extra-virgin olive oil, wine and lemon juice in a bowl, drizzle over trout and roast until fish is just cooked and pancetta is crisp (30-40 minutes). Transfer to a platter, strain pan juices and drizzle over fish. Serve immediately or at room temperature.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am