A bottle of chilled Hendrick's, a batch of frozen rockmelon and some syrup is all you need to keep guests happy this summer. If you're entertaining a crowd, set out the prepared ingredients along with a blender and chopping board so your guests can whip up their own cocktails through the day. You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 500 gm rockmelon
- 100 ml gin
- 100 ml lemon juice, or to taste, plus wedges to serve
- 70 gm caster sugar
- Thinly peeled rind of ½ lemon
- 1Coarsely chop melon, place in a container and freeze (overnight).
- 2Meanwhile, for stock syrup, combine sugar and 70ml water in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stir until sugar dissolves, bring to the boil, then set aside to cool. Add lemon rind and refrigerate for flavour to infuse (overnight).
- 3Blend gin, lemon juice, strained stock syrup (discard rind) and frozen rockmelon in a blender, in two batches, until smooth. Pour into chilled glasses and serve immediately with lemon wedges.
This recipe is from the February 2013 issue of .