- 1.8 kg piece of pork loin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 small pink lady apples, unpeeled, halved horizontally
- 200 gm peeled chestnuts (see note)
- 12 shallots
- ½ cup (loosely packed) sage leaves
- 350 ml dry cider
Apple and sage stuffing
- 20 ml olive oil
- 10 gm butter
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 pink lady apples, unpeeled, coarsely chopped
- 125 ml dry cider
- 50 ml cider vinegar
- 20 gm caster sugar
- 2 tbsp coarsely torn sage leaves
- 1Preheat oven to 250C. For apple and sage stuffing, heat oil and butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add shallot, stir occasionally until tender (4-5 minutes). Add apple, cider, vinegar and sugar, stir occasionally until apple is tender and mixture is thick (8-10 minutes). Season to taste, stir through sage, cool.
- 2Score pork skin with a sharp knife at 5mm intervals. Place skin-side down on a work surface, spread stuffing along longest side closest to you, then roll away from you to form a cylinder. (Reserve extra stuffing to serve.) Tie at intervals with kitchen string, place in a roasting pan, drizzle with oil, season to taste. Scatter apple, chestnut, shallot and sage around base, add cider, season to taste, roast until crackling starts to form (30 minutes), reduce heat to 150C, cook until just cooked through (12-15 minutes). Rest for 5 minutes, thickly slice and serve with apples, chestnuts, shallots, pan juices and remaining stuffing.
Note Peeled chestnuts are available from select delicatessens.
Drink Suggestion: Cloudy farmhouse cider. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm