Just because something is simple doesn't mean there's nothing to it. Take guacamole, for instance. It's all about choosing perfect avocados – Hass are our pick for their rich concentrated flavour. They need to be firm, but not too firm, and uniformly ripe. No bruises or stringiness. From there, it's all about the seasoning – go big with lime juice and salt, let it stand for a few minutes, then taste and adjust the seasoning. Make double what you think you'll need – there's always room for more guac.
- 3 ripe Hass avocados, halved, stones removed
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1 long green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped white onion
- Juice of 2-3 limes
- ½ cup coarsely chopped coriander, plus extra to serve
- Roasted pepitas, to serve
- Crunchy vegetables such as radishes, cucumber batons and raw green beans, to serve
Baked tortilla chips
- 6 corn tortillas
- Olive oil, for brushing
- ½ tsp smoked paprika mixed with 1 tsp sea salt
- 1For tortilla chips, preheat oven to 180°C. Place tortillas on a baking tray, brush each side with a little oil and season with paprika salt. Bake, turning occasionally, until golden brown and crisp (8-10 minutes). Cool and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- 2Scoop the avocado flesh out of the skins onto a chopping board and remove any soft spots or blemishes with a small sharp knife. Coarsely chop, transfer to a bowl or mortar and roughly mash (leave a little texture – it will break down further as you add the remaining ingredients).
- 3Add garlic, chilli, onion, lime juice and 1 tsp sea salt and mash together. It takes some time for the avocado to absorb all the flavours so let the mixture stand for 5 minutes then taste again, and adjust the seasoning with lime juice and chilli. Stir in coriander, scatter with pepitas and extra coriander, and serve with tortilla chips and crisp vegetables.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm