- 500 gm Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 long red chillies
- 1 qty <a href="http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/pizza-dough.htm">pizza dough</a>
- 375 ml (1½ cups) tomato passata
- 50 gm pitted Kalamata olives
- 3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 150 gm fior di latte or buffalo mozzarella, thickly sliced
- 1Heat a frying pan over medium heat, add sausages and cook, stirring to break up, for 5 minutes or until just cooked through.
- 2Place chillies on an oven tray and roast at 180C for 8 minutes or until skin has blistered. Place chillies in a sealed plastic bag for 5 minutes, then remove skin and seeds.
- 3On a floured work surface roll out a quarter of the dough to a 25cm round. Spread ¼ cup passata over half the base and top with a quarter of the sausage, chilli, olives, garlic and mozzarella. Fold dough over, seal edges and spoon over 2 tbsp passata. Cook on a preheated pizza stone (see note) at 250C for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Scatter with grated parmesan and serve immediately.
Note Pizza stones, which ensure crisp-based pizza, are available from Italian delicatessens and food stores.
This recipe is from the May 2006 issue of Australian Gourmet Traveller.