- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp savory leaves (see note)
- 600 gm green beans, trimmed
- 1Heat olive oil in a large frying pan, add onion and garlic and sauté over medium heat until just beginning to soften (2-3 minutes). Add savory and beans and cook, stirring often, until beans begin to soften (3-4 minutes). Add 125ml water, season to taste and simmer until beans are tender and liquid is reduced (5 minutes). Adjust seasoning and serve immediately.
Note The herb savory has a particular affinity with beans. Unfortunately, unless you grow your own or can obtain it from a friend's garden, it can be a little difficult to come by. If unavailable, a combination of chopped rosemary and sage is a good substitute.