- 2 golden shallots, thinly sliced, soaked in cold water for 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 20 large scallops, roe removed, thinly sliced horizontally
- For drizzling: extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ tsp dried pink peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- To serve: rosemary leaves
Lemon and rosemary granita
- 200 gm (1 cup) caster sugar
- 2 small rosemary sprigs
- 375 ml (1½ cups) lemon juice
- Finely grated rind of 2 lemons
- 1For lemon and rosemary granita, bring sugar and 250ml water to the simmer in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar, remove from heat, add rosemary, and set aside to infuse (2 hours). Remove rosemary, stir in lemon juice and rind, pour into a 20cm square container and freeze, scraping occasionally to break up ice (6-8 hours).
- 2Combine shallot and vinegar in a small bowl and set aside to pickle (30 minutes). Arrange scallops on serving plates, scatter with shallot and vinegar, drizzle with olive oil and season to taste. Scrape granita to break up ice, scatter over scallops, scatter with peppercorns and rosemary and serve immediately.
This recipe is from the March 2013 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Barrel-aged sauvignon blanc. Drink suggestion by Max Allen