You’ll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 300 gm dried white beans, soaked in cold water overnight
- 1 Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp each of thyme and oregano leaves
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 300 gm smoked pork ribs, cut into single ribs (see note)
- ½ bunch of rainbow chard, leaves coarsely torn and stalks thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- To serve: toast soldiers
- 1Drain beans, rinse under cold water and set aside. Chop onion, carrot, garlic and herbs very finely in a food processor. Heat oil in a casserole over medium heat, add vegetable mixture and cook until very soft (5-6 minutes). Add beans, stock, ribs and 1 litre cold water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until beans are tender, adding more water if beans become dry (2-2¼ hours). Add chard leaves and stalks, season generously to taste and cook until chard is just wilted (2-3 minutes). Remove from heat, stir in vinegar and serve with toast soldiers.
Smoked pork ribs are available from select butchers and delicatessens.