This soup, a simple classic based on a recipe from Moro: The Cookbook, is what Spanish food is all about - earthy, hearty and delicious.
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 4 garlic heads, broken into cloves, unpeeled
- 1 dried chorizo (about 100gm), finely chopped
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- ½ tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 4 eggs
- 4 thick slices ciabatta or sourdough bread
- 1Heat oil in a saucepan over low heat, add garlic and stir occasionally until skins are golden (15-20 minutes). Cool, squeeze garlic cloves from skins (discard skins) and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, add chorizo to pan, sauté over medium heat until crisp (2-3 minutes). Add thyme and cook until fragrant (1 minute), then add stock, paprika and reserved garlic. Bring to a simmer, then season to taste. Just before serving, crack eggs into soup and poach until just set (3-4 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, preheat a char-grill pan over high heat. Brush bread with oil, char-grill until crisp (1-2 minutes each side). Ladle soup into bowls and serve hot with char-grilled bread.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Chef's RecipesIcebergs' ricotta with white poached quince and honeyYesterday 10:14pm