Squash and pumpkin flowers are a popular ingredient in many Mexican cuisines. This soup is traditionally made with pumpkin flowers and cream, but we've tweaked the recipe to make it more like a broth, and used zucchini flowers, which are more readily available here in Australia.
- 40 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 80 gm mild pancetta, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1½ litres (6 cups) chicken stock
- 20 zucchini flowers, stamens removed, zucchini and flower separated, zucchini thinly sliced, 16 flowers torn, 4 flowers reserved, to serve
- 2 corn cobs, kernels removed
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (loosely packed) coriander, finely chopped
- For drizzling: olive oil
- To serve: pickled jalapeños
- 1Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add pancetta, onion and garlic and stir until tender (3-5 minutes). Add stock, zucchini, torn flowers, corn and tomato, simmer until vegetables are tender (5-7 minutes), add coriander and season liberally to taste. Divide soup among bowls, drizzle with a little oil, scatter with reserved flowers and serve hot with pickled jalapeños to the side.
Drink Suggestion: A light Mexican lager. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsThe Melbourne bakery that pipes fresh cannoli to orderYesterday 4:00am