- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 900 gm spinach leaves
- 250 gm Greek feta, coarsely crumbled
- 1 bunch dill, coarsely chopped
- Finely grated rind and juice of ½ a lemon
- For brushing: butter, melted
- 1 quantity <b><a href='/filo-pastry.htm'>filo pastry</a></b>
- To serve olive and herb salad
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add onion and garlic, sauté until onion is tender (5-10 minutes). Transfer to a large bowl, set aside to cool.
- 2Meanwhile, blanch spinach in batches (10-20 seconds) and refresh. Drain well, squeezing excess moisture from spinach, coarsely chop and add to onion mixture with feta, dill, lemon rind and juice. Season to taste, mix to combine.
- 3Layer half the filo in the base and sides of a buttered 24cm-diameter, 4cm-deep metal pie dish, allowing pastry to overhang. Spoon in spinach mixture, fold in filo edges and loosely place remaining filo on top to cover. Brush pie with melted butter, bake until cooked through (1-1½ hours; cover loosely with foil if it starts to brown too quickly). Cool in dish for 5 minutes, then turn out, slice, and serve warm with a simple olive and herb salad.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Destinations72 hours on Flinders Island: what to see, eat and doYesterday 1:11am