What could be more Hawaiian than coconut? Coconut milk adds a beautiful creaminess to the rice base, while coconut flakes bring just the right amount of crunch. Use an underripe pineapple here to bring tartness and complexity to the dish.
- 400 gm sushi rice, rinsed
- 250 ml coconut milk (1 cup)
- 16 cooked prawns, peeled with tails intact
- 250 gm pineapple, thinly sliced
- 4 baby cucumbers, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 tbsp finely chopped Spanish onion
- Coriander, thinly sliced long green chilli, finely grated lime rind, toasted coconut flakes and lime wedges, to serve
Coconut-green chilli dressing
- 70 ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ long green chilli, thinly sliced
- ½ garlic clove, finely grated
- 1Bring rice, coconut milk, 250ml water and 1 tsp sea salt to a simmer in a saucepan, then reduce heat to low, cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook without uncovering for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stand covered for 10 minutes, then uncover and fluff up rice with a fork.
- 2Meanwhile, for coconut-green chilli dressing, shake ingredients in a jar to combine and season to taste.
- 3Divide warm coconut rice among serving bowls, top with prawns, pineapple, cucumber and onion, drizzle with dressing to taste, scatter with coriander, chilli, lime rind and coconut flakes, and serve with lime wedges.
Drink Suggestion: Medium-sweet young riesling Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm