Any flaky white-fleshed fish can be used in this recipe. Steaming the fish keeps the flesh juicy and succulent.
- 4 coral trout fillets, skin on, (about 220gm each)
- To serve: good-quality mayonnaise
- 250 ml (1 cup) cider vinegar
- 55 gm (¼ cup) caster sugar
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 300 gm baby fennel (about 1), shaved on a mandolin
- ½ Spanish onion, shaved on a mandolin
- 1For pickled fennel, combine vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Stir through spices, cool to room temperature (20-30 minutes). Add fennel and onion, stir to combine, transfer to a non-reactive container, cover, refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 2Place a large steamer basket over a large saucepan of boiling water. Place trout in a single layer on a plate, season to taste, then place in steamer basket. Cover and steam until just cooked through (8-10 minutes). Serve hot with pickled fennel and mayonnaise.
Drink Suggestion: Aromatic, textural friulano. Drink suggestion by Max Allen