These ribs are sticky, sweet, messy and damn good. You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 1.5 kg American-style pork spare ribs
- 400 gm canned whole tomatoes
- 150 gm brown sugar
- 125 ml each barbecue and tomato sauce (½ cup)
- 125 ml Kentucky bourbon
- 125 ml apple cider vinegar (½ cup)
- 60 ml each Worcestershire and soy sauce (¼ cup)
- 1For bourbon marinade, process tomato in a food processor to a coarse pulp. Transfer to a bowl, add remaining ingredients, whisk to combine.
- 2Place ribs in a non-reactive container, pour over marinade, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3Preheat oven to 150C. Transfer ribs and sauce to two baking dishes, spreading in a single layer, then roast, covered and basting occasionally, until tender (3 hours). Remove ribs from marinade and set aside.
- 4Transfer marinade to a saucepan, cook over medium heat until reduced to a glaze (10-20 minutes).
- 5Preheat a char-grill pan over medium-high heat and grill ribs, turning and basting with reserved marinade, until glazed, charred and sticky (15 minutes). Slice ribs and serve hot.