These buns are inspired by a recipe for Chelsea buns by Elizabeth David.
- 160 ml milk
- 7 gm dried yeast (1 sachet)
- 600 gm plain flour
- 55 gm caster sugar (¼ cup)
- 200 gm butter, coarsely chopped, plus extra to serve
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Finely grated rind of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 110 gm sultanas
- 2 tbsp milk mixed with 2 tbsp caster sugar, to glaze
- To serve: softened butter
- 400 gm icing sugar mixture, sieved
- 2-4 drops pink food colouring
- Finely grated rind of ¼ lemon
- 1Heat milk in a small saucepan over low heat until lukewarm. Place yeast in a bowl, stir in milk and set aside until foaming (20 minutes).
- 2Combine flour, sugar and ½ tsp salt in the bowl of an electric mixer, then rub in butter with your fingertips. Add yeast mixture, eggs, lemon rind and cinnamon, mix with a dough hook on low speed until a smooth dough forms, transfer to an oiled bowl, turn to coat, cover with plastic wrap and set aside until tripled in size (2 hours). Knock back, add sultanas, knead on a lightly floured surface to combine, then divide into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a 16cm-long bun, transfer to 2 oven trays lined with baking paper, leaving 2cm between each, then stand in a draught- free place until doubled in size (1 hour).
- 3Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180C. Bake buns until golden and cooked through (15-20 minutes), then immediately brush with milk mixture. Set aside to cool slightly (2 minutes).
- 4For pink icing, combine icing sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer with 50ml-60ml water, or enough to make a thick icing, and beat until a glaze forms. Add food colouring and lemon rind, beat to combine, then drizzle over warm buns and set aside until icing sets. Serve with butter for spreading. Buns are best eaten on the day they're made.
Drink Suggestion: All Saints Estate Rutherglen Tokay. Drink suggestion by All Saints Estate
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm