This Caribbean-flavoured salad is summer in a bowl. The green banana may seem an unusual addition, but works really well in the mix. Chopped cooked prawn meat, meanwhile, works beautifully in place of the crab.
- 1 small purple sweet potato, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp lime juice, or to taste, plus lime halves to serve
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 200 gm crabmeat
- 2 green bananas, thinly sliced
- ¼ small red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped coriander
- 1 salad onion (white part and a little of the green part only), finely chopped
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 jalapeño chilli, finely chopped
- 1Blanch sweet potato in a saucepan of boiling water in batches until just tender (3-4 minutes, see note). Transfer to a bowl of iced water with a slotted spider to chill (5-7 minutes). Drain well, then transfer to a bowl, add lime juice and oil, season to taste, toss to combine and refrigerate until required.
- 2For coriander-jalapeño dressing, whisk ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
- 3Add remaining ingredients except lime halves and coconut to sweet potato and half the dressing. Toss to combine, then transfer to bowls, top with extra dressing to taste and grated coconut, and serve with lime.
To blanch an ingredient, cook it briefly in boiling water, then drain it. To refresh it, plunge it in plenty of iced water (this stops the cooking process), then drain it.