- 500 gm mascarpone
- 4 eggwhites
- 250 ml strong espresso, cooled (1 cup)
- 185 ml Marsala
- To serve: Dutch process cocoa powder
- To serve: dark chocolate, shaved
- 4 eggs, separated
- 150 gm caster sugar (2/3 cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 110 gm plain flour (½ cup)
- For dusting: white sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 80 ml Marsala (1/3 cup)
- 1For savoiardi biscuits, preheat oven to 180C. Using an electric mixer, whisk egg yolks, 55gm sugar and vanilla extract until pale and creamy. In a separate bowl, whisk eggwhites and a pinch of salt until soft peaks form, then gradually add remaining sugar and beat until stiff and shiny. Add to yolk mixture and gently fold through, sift over flour and fold through until just combined. Using a piping bag fitted with a 2cm-plain nozzle, pipe 7cm-long fingers spaced 2cm apart onto lightly greased and lined oven trays, scatter with white sugar and bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Transfer paper with biscuits to a wire rack to cool. Makes about 40. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- 2For zabaglione, whisk egg yolks and sugar in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water until pale, add Marsala and whisk for about 10 minutes or until tripled in volume and mixture holds a trail. Cool.
- 3Place mascarpone in bowl and beat until smooth, add zabaglione and fold to combine. In a separate bowl, whisk eggwhites until soft peaks form, then gently fold through zabaglione mixture.
- 4Combine espresso and Marsala in a bowl. Dip biscuits in espresso liquid, place two in each base of 6 serving glasses, top each with a ¼ cup of zabaglione mixture and repeat twice more with biscuits and zabaglione mixture. Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight. Serve dusted with cocoa and chocolate shavings.
The tiramisù here involves house-made savoiardi, proper Marsala and Italian mascarpone. Como Centre, 299 Toorak Rd, South Yarra, Vic, (03) 9826 2277.
The 'Locatelli family tiramisù' appears on the menu at this local hero. 5 Baptist St, Surry Hills, NSW, (02) 8394 9368.
This Brisbane stayer offers a tiramisù that’s pure tradition. 41 Sherwood Rd, Toowong, Qld, (07) 3870 4933.
WHERE TO TRY IT
Bizzarri Restaurant Two
MariosartiNote You can use bought savoiardi biscuits but we like the idea of making them from scratch.