- 5 small chicken carcasses (about 1.5kg), halved lengthways with a cleaver
- 1 kg chicken wings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots, halved widthways
- 2 celery stalks, halved widthways
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 head of garlic, halved horizontally
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- To serve: tarragon leaves, finely grated parmesan and rye bread
Chicken and parmesan tortellini
- 300 gm (2 cups) “00” flour
- 3 eggs, plus 1 for eggwash
- 160 gm minced chicken
- 100 gm minced pork
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- 1½ tbsp finely chopped basil
- 1 tbsp finely grated parmesan
- Pinch of finely grated nutmeg
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Divide carcasses and wings between 2 oven trays, rub with oil, season to taste and roast until golden (40-50 minutes). Pour off fat (discard), scrape juices and caramelised bits into a large saucepan along with carcasses and wings. Add vegetables, garlic, thyme, peppercorns and 3 litres cold water and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Skim scum from surface, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until stock is very well flavoured (4-5 hours). Strain 2.2 litres into a wide saucepan over medium heat and simmer until reduced by almost half (30-40 minutes). Season to taste, keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, for chicken and parmesan tortellini, process flour and eggs in a food processor to combine. Turn onto a work surface, knead until smooth (3-5 minutes), wrap in plastic wrap and set aside to rest (30 minutes). Combine remaining ingredients (except eggwash) in a bowl, season to taste and set aside. Divide dough into thirds, and working with one piece at a time, feed through pasta machine, starting at the widest setting then reducing setting notch by notch and folding and rolling as you go, until pasta is 3mm thick. Cut out 7cm-diameter rounds with a pastry cutter, place on an oven tray dusted with flour and cover with a damp tea towel. Working with one round at a time, place 1 tsp chicken mixture in the centre, brush edges with eggwash, fold in half to form a semi-circle and press to seal. Brush straight edge of pasta with eggwash, bring together and press to seal. Return tortellini to tray.
- 3Cook tortellini in batches in a saucepan of boiling salted water over medium-high heat until al dente (2-4 minutes). Drain, transfer to bowls, ladle broth over, season to taste, scatter with tarragon and parmesan and serve with rye bread.
This recipe is from the August 2012 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Crisp dry white vermentino. Drink suggestion by Max Allen