- 1 ficelle, thinly sliced diagonally (see note)
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 450 gm veal fillet, trimmed
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 1 anchovy fillet, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind and juice only
White onion and anchovy paste
- 100 ml olive oil
- 2½ white onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Place ficelle slices in a single layer on an oven tray. Drizzle with 20ml olive oil, season to taste and bake until golden and crisp (5-8 minutes), set aside to cool.
- 2Meanwhile, for white onion and anchovy paste, heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add remaining ingredients, stir occasionally until onion is very tender (10-15 minutes). Remove thyme, season to taste, process in a food processor until very smooth, set aside.
- 3Heat 20ml olive oil in an ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. Season veal to taste. Add to pan and turn occasionally until browned on all sides (5-6 minutes) then transfer to oven and roast until medium-rare (2-3 minutes). Rest for 10 minutes covered wtih foil, then slice very thinly.
- 4Combine herbs, anchovy, lemon rind, lemon juice and remaining oil in a small bowl, season to taste.
- 5To serve, spread crostini with onion and anchovy paste, top with sliced veal, spoon over herb oil and serve immediately.
Note Ficelle is a thin breadstick available from select bakers. If unavailable, substitute a baguette.