White pearl barley is smaller and whiter than regular pearl barley. This salad would work with many other grains too, such as cracked wheat, freekah or quinoa. Adjust the cooking time if using an alternative. The salad is perfect on its own as a light meal but also suited to accompanying simple pan-fried fish or grilled chicken.
- 150 gm white pearl barley (see note)
- 10 black manzanilla olives, pitted, crushed
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 spring onion bulb, shaved widthways
- 1 celery heart, shaved widthways
Preserved lemon dressing
- 1 lemon, juice only
- ½ preserved lemon, rinsed, flesh and pith removed, rind finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 1Cook pearl barley in boiling water until tender (10-15 minutes), drain well, transfer to a bowl and cool.
- 2Meanwhile, for preserved lemon dressing, combine ingredients in a bowl and season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
- 3Combine barley with remaining ingredients, drizzle with dressing, toss gently and serve immediately.
Note White pearl barley is available from David Jones food halls and select delicatessens.
Drink Suggestion: Chilled manzanilla sherry. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsFarmer is a new cookbook raising funds for the droughtYesterday 12:00am