Braised meat and soft polenta is northern Italian comfort food, ideal for lunch on a rainy day. Instant polenta is pre-cooked dehydrated polenta and, although quicker to cook, is nothing like polenta made from lovingly stirred raw cornmeal.
- 50 ml olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 650 gm veal shoulder, cut into 4cm piece
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 400 ml dry Italian red wine
- 800 ml milk
- 300 gm coarse yellow polenta
- 250 ml pouring cream (1 cup)
- 160 gm finely grated parmesan (2 cups)
- 150 gm Gorgonzola, coarsely crumbled, plus extra to serve
- 60 gm unsalted butter, coarsely chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 150C. Heat oil in a large casserole over medium heat, add onion and garlic and sauté until tender (5-6 minutes). Add anchovies and sauté until dissolved (1-2 minutes). Add veal and tomato paste, stir to combine, then add wine and bring to the simmer. Cover with a lid and cook in oven until meat is very tender (1¼-1½ hours).
- 2Meanwhile, for Gorgonzola polenta, bring milk and 800ml water to the boil in a large saucepan, season generously to taste and slowly add polenta in a thin stream, whisking continuously. Reduce heat to low and stir continuously with a wooden spoon until smooth and creamy (20-30 minutes), then stir through cream, parmesan, Gorgonzola and butter. Serve hot, topped with extra Gorgonzola, with veal shoulder.
Drink Suggestion: Rich red Amarone. Drink suggestion by Max Allen