Roast chicken is excellent picnic fare - cook it the day before, or if you prefer it warm, cook it just before leaving home. Either way, this yoghurt-marinated version is addictively moreish.
- 200 gm Greek-style yoghurt
- ½ onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon, plus lemon wedges to serve
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander seeds
- ½ tsp smoked paprika, plus extra to serve
- 1 large chicken (about 1.8kg), butterflied
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 1Process yoghurt, onion, garlic, lemon rind and spices in a food processor to combine. Transfer to a large bowl, add chicken and massage to coat. Transfer to a container that holds chicken snugly, cover and refrigerate to marinate (2-3 hours or overnight).
- 2Preheat oven to 200°C. Wipe off excess marinade from chicken and place skin-side up on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle with oil and roast until golden brown and juices run clear when thigh is pierced with a skewer (40-45 minutes). Cool to room temperature, cut into pieces and refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Scatter with extra paprika and serve with lemon wedges.
Drink Suggestion: Perfumed pinot blanc. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- ExplainersFlour and Stone's guide to making the perfect pavlovaYesterday 5:00am
- Travel NewsThree of the best dog-friendly hotels in AustraliaYesterday 4:00am