This luscious, summery tart is guaranteed to impress every guest, including the carnivores.
- 375 gm puff pastry (see note)
- 750 gm fresh firm ricotta
- 100 gm ricotta salata, finely grated
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated, juiced
- ¼ cup finely chopped chives
- ¼ cup chopped oregano leaves, plus extra leaves to serve
- 3 baby green zucchini, thinly sliced into rounds
- 6 yellow squash, shaved
- 2 medium green zucchini, shaved lengthways
- 2 Lebanese zucchini, shaved lengthways
- 8 baby zucchini with flowers, halved
- 4 yellow mini vine capsicums, halved
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 150 gm dry-roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
Black garlic dressing
- 4 black garlic cloves, mashed with a fork
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp baby capers in brine, drained
- 125 ml (½ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C. Unroll the puff pastry, and place on a large lined oven tray. Place 4 small cookie cutters, 2cm in depth, in the corners of the tray, then place another heavy baking tray on top, to ensure even rising. Bake until pastry is golden and cooked through (20-22 minutes). Remove top tray and set aside to cool.
- 2Meanwhile, to make dressing, combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk well then season to taste.
- 3Combine ricotta, rind, juice and three-quarters of the herbs in a bowl then season to taste.
- 4Combine baby green zucchini, 1 squash and half the green zucchini in a bowl.
- 5Heat a char-grill plate over high heat. Place remaining zucchini, squash and the capsicums on 2 large trays then drizzle with oil, sprinkle with paprika and season to taste. Chargrill, in batches, until just tender and grill marks appear (1-2 minutes each side). Transfer cooked zucchini into bowl with raw zucchini and half the almonds then drizzle with half the dressing. Toss gently to combine.
- 6Place pastry on a serving plate and spread evenly with the ricotta mixture. Top with the zucchini mixture. Drizzle with remaining dressing and scatter over remaining herbs and almonds.
Note We prefer Carême puff pastry, which comes in 375gm sheets, but any good-quality puff pastry would work.