- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and peeled
- 100 gm mixed baby cress
- 50 gm pistachios, blanched and peeled
- 2 lemons, juice only
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 80 gm pecorino, shaved
- 300 ml dry white wine
- 300 ml olive oil
- 3 lemons, juice only
- 1 small carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 5 white peppercorns
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 12 small globe artichokes
- 1For braised artichokes, combine all ingredients (except artichokes) and 1 litre water in a large saucepan. Remove outer leaves from artichokes until you reach the tender inner leaves, then trim tops and peel down stalks to remove the tough, stringy outer layer and add immediately to liquid. Cover closely with a round of baking paper and weight with a plate to completely submerge artichokes. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, reduce heat to low and cook until just soft enough for a skewer to press easily through the centre (7-10 minutes). Remove from heat, cool artichokes in liquid, then remove with a slotted spoon. Halve lengthways, remove hairy choke using a teaspoon and return to liquid until needed.
- 2Blanch asparagus in boiling salted water until tender (1-2 minutes). Drain, refresh in iced water, drain again and set aside.
- 3Combine asparagus, baby cress and pistachios in a bowl. Add drained artichokes, lemon juice and oil. Season to taste and toss with your hands to combine. Scatter with pecorino, drizzle with extra oil and serve immediately with the <a href="sbagliato_carafe.htm">Sbagliato Carafe</a>, <a href="grilled_octopus_with_fennel_chickpea_pure_and_wild_seaweed_dressing.htm">grilled octopus</a>, prosciutto and crusty bread.