This Japanese chicken and spring onion skewer recipe marries the freshness of crisp spring onions, with the smokiness of Yakitori-style grilled chicken, to make the ultimate dinner party starter.
For those who love Japanese cuisine, try one of our oishii Japanese recipes at your next big gathering.
- 600 gm chicken thigh fillets, skin on, cut into 3-4cm cubes
- 3 thick spring onions, cut into 4cm lengths
- Tare, for brushing
- Char-grilled corn cobs, to serve
- 1Preheat a charcoal barbecue (hibachi) or gas barbecue to medium-high.
- 2Meanwhile, thread 4 chicken pieces onto bamboo skewers (soak skewers for 30 minutes in water to minimise burning), alternating with spring onion. Brush with tare, then grill, turning and brushing occasionally, until the outside is charred slightly and cooked through (8-10 minutes). Rest for 5 minutes then serve drizzled with extra tare and charred corn cobs on the side.
"You want perfect 3 to 4cm cubes for the chicken. Too small and the chicken dries up. Too big and it won't cook through. It's important there are no gaps between the chicken and shallot to trap heat and juices." - Tin Jung Shea.