“This is a chef’s version of KFC but so much better. The longer you can leave it to marinate, the better, but I’ve also done the quick 15-minute marinade – it stays so juicy, and the skin is a textural triumph.”
- 1.5 kg small chicken pieces, such as drumsticks and thighs, skin on
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp each finely ground white and black pepper
- 500 ml (2 cups) buttermilk
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 500 gm plain flour
- 80 gm cornflour
- 350 gm fine white breadcrumbs
- To serve: limes, halved
- 1Place chicken in a non-reactive dish, season well with paprika, peppers and sea salt, add buttermilk, turn to coat, then marinate for at least 15 minutes, bringing chicken to room temperature.
- 2Meanwhile, preheat oil in a deep-fryer or large deep-sided saucepan to 180C. Combine flours and breadcrumbs in a plastic bag, then drain chicken (discard marinade) and add to bag. Shake well to coat, stand for 5 minutes, then remove from bag, pressing in excess crumbs.
- 3Deep-fry chicken in small batches to regulate the temperature of the oil until chicken is golden and cooked through (8-10 minutes for drumsticks, 10-12 minutes for thighs). Drain on absorbent paper, season with sea salt and serve with lime.
This recipe is from the February 2010 issue of .
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsA year-round travel guide to Austria's western AlpsYesterday 12:00am