GA&S uses whole Flinders Island baby lamb, which is entirely milk-fed, having never grazed on grass.
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 900 gm Flinders Island baby lamb pieces (see note)
- 24 cloves of organic garlic
- 8 sprigs of rosemary, leaves picked
- 500 ml dry white wine (2 cups)
- 750 ml chicken stock (3 cups)
- 1Heat olive oil in a large heavy-based casserole over medium-high heat and seal lamb until just brown (2 minutes each side). Add garlic and rosemary, deglaze with white wine, then add enough chicken stock to half-cover lamb and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to the simmer over low-medium heat, half cover with a lid, then cook until lamb is just pink (8-10 minutes). Remove from heat and rest for 30 minutes in cooking liquid. Gently re-heat, taking care not to overcook lamb. Serve with polenta and braised chicory.
Note If Flinders Island baby lamb is unavailable, find a butcher selling very young lamb and ask for cutlets and boned shoulder or boned leg cut into large pieces. You'll need about 150gm of meat per person.