Fast, bright and made for sharing. Yakitori Yurippi's easy hibachi-grilled okra recipe is cooked with a sweet and tangy ponzu sauce and served with sprinkled bonito flakes, making it a quick but impressive snack.
- 12 okra, trimmed, halved lengthways
- Bonito flakes (see note), for scattering
- 100 ml soy sauce
- 60 ml (¼ cup) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp rice wine winegar
- 1Preheat a charcoal barbecue (hibachi) or gas barbecue to high.
- 2For ponzu sauce, combine ingredients and set aside at room temperature. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
- 3Thread 4 pieces of okra widthways onto bamboo skewers (soak skewers for 30 minutes in water to minimise burning). Grill, turning frequently, until charred and tender (3-4 minutes). Serve scattered with bonito flakes and ponzu sauce on the side.
Bonito flakes (katsuobushi) are available from Japanese grocers.