"This is a great after-dinner dessert-slash-cocktail," says Ian Trinkle. "We wanted to use up all the empty orange shells after watching our orange-juice machine split oranges in half." Start this recipe one day ahead to make the granita.
- 75 ml Campari
- 75 ml Cointreau
- 225 ml apple juice
- 75 ml lemon juice
- 75 ml passionfruit juice (from about 6 passionfruit)
- 25 ml sugar syrup (see note)
- 4 oranges, halved (skins reserved) and juiced, plus orange wedges to serve
- 1Mix ingredients (except orange halves) in a large bowl, pour into a tray and freeze overnight.
- 2Freeze orange halves to chill (1 hour). Scrape frozen mixture into ice crystals with a fork, then spoon into orange halves. Serve on ice with orange wedges and a classic Italian digestif such as Amaro Montenegro on the side.
For sugar syrup, combine equal quantities caster sugar and boiling water in a jug and stir to dissolve.