- 250 gm smooth peanut butter
- 375 ml (1½ cups) thickened cream
- 8 egg yolks
- 250 gm caster sugar
- 35 gm liquid glucose
- To serve: bitter dark chocolate ice-cream
- 30 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 120 gm cocoa nibs, roasted (see note)
- 80 gm each pistachios, walnuts and almonds
- 90 gm caster sugar
- 250 ml cream
- 190 ml milk
- 140 ml liquid glucose
- 185 gm sugar
- 150 gm butter
- 7 gm salt
- 1Whisk peanut butter and 75ml cream in a bowl to combine. Whisk remaining cream in a separate bowl until soft peaks form (2-3 minutes). Fold into peanut butter mixture and refrigerate. Whisk yolks in an electric mixer until pale and fluffy (3-5 minutes). Stir sugar, glucose and 50ml water in a saucepan over medium heat, bring to the boil and cook until mixture reaches 115C on a sugar thermometer (3-4 minutes). Whisking yolks continuously on low speed, gradually add sugar syrup in a thin steady stream until combined. Increase speed to high and whisk until cool (8-10 minutes). Fold in peanut mixture, pour into a 20cm x 30cm tray lined with baking paper, smooth top and freeze until firm (4-5 hours).
- 2For baklava crumbs, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add cocoa nibs and nuts and stir occasionally until coated and warmed through (1-2 minutes). Scatter sugar over, stir until sugar melts and nuts are glazed (1-2 minutes), spread on a tray lined with baking paper and cool, then coarsely crumble. Shake nuts in a fine sieve to remove dust (discard). Place on a tray.
- 3Cut rounds of parfait with an 8cm-diameter pastry cutter dipped in hot water, place on a tray lined with baking paper and freeze until firm. Roll edges of parfait rounds in baklava crumbs (reserve some to serve) and freeze.
- 4For salted caramel, bring cream to the boil in a saucepan over medium heat, set aside. Combine remaining ingredients in a separate saucepan over medium heat, whisk continuously until mixture reaches 135C on a sugar thermometer (10-15 minutes), remove from heat, whisk in cream and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- 5Spread a little salted caramel on chilled serving plates, top with parfait, then top with a scoop of chocolate ice-cream. Scatter with extra baklava crumbs and serve.
Cocoa nibs are available from health-food shops. To roast nibs, preheat oven to 180C, place nibs on a tray and roast, shaking tray occasionally, for 5-6 minutes.
This recipe is from the February 2012 issue of
Drink Suggestion: 2010 Yering Station Cold Pressed Pinot Gris.