You’ll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 1 watermelon (about 6kg)
- 1 rockmelon (about 1.4kg)
- 1 honeydew melon (about 2kg)
- To serve: organic rose geranium leaves (see note), organic rose petals and sparkling moscato (optional)
- 150 gm caster sugar
- 2-3 rose geranium leaves (see note)
- 1For rose geranium syrup, bring sugar and 100ml water to the boil in a small saucepan over medium heat, remove from heat, add rose geranium, refrigerate overnight to infuse.
- 2Trim a small section of rind from base of watermelon so melon sits level. Remove top third of watermelon with a knife (discard). Remove flesh with a melon baller and place balls in a large bowl, set aside. Cut balls from rockmelon and honeydew, and add to bowl.
- 3Pour syrup over melon balls, toss to combine, place balls inside watermelon and refrigerate until well chilled (1-2 hours).
- 4Scatter with rose geranium leaves and rose petals, pour over sparkling moscato and serve.
Rose geranium is available from select nurseries, you may need to order it. If unavailable, substitute rose geranium water or rosewater (available from select delicatessens and Middle Eastern grocers) to taste.
This recipe is from the December 2010 issue of