- 6 ripe tomatoes, scored
- 100 gm mixed quinoa (see note)
- 175 gm (1 cup) drained canned chickpeas (see note)
- 1 celery heart, finely chopped
- 120 gm (1 cup) frozen peas, defrosted
- ½ Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (firmly packed) flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup (firmly packed) mint, thinly sliced
- 2 lemons, juice only
- 1 lemon, rind only, removed with a peeler, very thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1Cook quinoa in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water until just tender (5-6 minutes). Drain, rinse under cold running water and drain well.
- 2Meanwhile, blanch tomatoes in boiling water until skins burst (30 seconds-1 minute), then refresh, drain, peel, coarsely chop, transfer to a large bowl. Add quinoa and remaining ingredients, season to taste and serve.
Mixed quinoa is available from select delicatessens. If unavailable, substitute plain, black or red quinoa. If you have time, soak and cook your own dried chickpeas for better texture.
This recipe is from the February 2010 issue of
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am