“You see recipes for roast lamb every spring, but it’s so darn good you can’t resist it. I love the salty marinade.”
- 1 lamb leg (about 3.2kg)
- 2 cups flat-leaf parsley (loosely packed)
- 1 cup rosemary (loosely packed)
- 100 ml olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 3 bunches rainbow silverbeet (see note)
- 60 ml vegetable oil (¼ cup)
- 3 long red chillies, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 125 ml chicken stock (½ cup)
- 1For herb marinade, process ingredients in a food processor to a coarse paste. Add more olive oil if necessary.
- 2Rub lamb with marinade then refrigerate to marinate (2 hours). Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180C. Transfer lamb to a roasting pan, roast until cooked medium (1 hour), cover with foil and rest in a warm place (20 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, for rainbow silverbeet, separate leaves and stalks. Coarsely tear leaves, set aside. Finely slice stalks. Heat vegetable oil in large saucepan over high heat, sauté stalks, chilli and garlic until just tender (2-3 minutes), add leaves and stock, cook until tender (3 minutes). Season to taste, transfer to serving dish, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil. Serve with sliced lamb.
Rainbow silverbeet is available from select greengrocers. If unavailable, substitute silverbeet.
This recipe is from the October 2010 issue of
Drink Suggestion: 2007 Heinrich Hartl St Laurent Classic. Drink suggestion by Jake Smyth