- 6 Spanish onions, unpeeled
- 6 thin speck slices (see note)
- 3 thyme sprigs, leaves removed
- 30 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Trim onion bases with a sharp knife, then cut a cross about two-thirds of the way into top of each onion. Place speck slice in each, transfer to a small roasting pan, season to taste, scatter with thyme leaves, drizzle with olive oil and roast until very tender (1 hour 45 minutes-2 hours). Serve onions in skins with <a href="roast-loin-of-wessex-saddleback.htm">roast loin of Wessex saddleback</a>.
Speck is salt-cured, smoked boned pork leg. You can substitute prosciutto or flat pancetta.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesLamb rack with piquillo peppers, rocket and burghulYesterday 5:00am