"We use mataro" says Mikey Nicolian. "But so long as the wine is light and fruit-driven it will be a good time."
- 350 ml red wine
- 150 ml apple juice
- 75 ml Grand Marnier
- 75 ml cinnamon and nutmeg syrup (see below)
- 2 tsp espresso
- Crushed ice and sliced orange, to serve
Cinnamon and nutmeg syrup
- 250 gm caster sugar
- 4 cinnamon quills, toasted
- ¼ nutmeg, coarsely grated, toasted
- 1For syrup, place ingredients and 125ml water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat (5-6 minutes). Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- 2Place wine, apple juice, Grand Marnier, prepared syrup and espresso in a large mixing jug and stir to combine.
- 3Fill 2 glasses with crushed ice. Pour over Sangria and serve immediately with a slice of orange.
The syrup can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 months.