Serve this brisket with a green salad, or roasted vegetables of your choice.
- 2 tbsp fat, such as duck fat, lard, ghee or coconut oil
- 2 kg piece of lean beef brisket
- 4 golden shallots, skin-on, halved lengthways
- 1 garlic head, skin-on, halved and broken into pieces
- 8 thyme sprigs
- 2 tbsp each smoked paprika and sweet paprika
- 2 tsp coarsely crushed black pepper
- 1 tsp each cayenne pepper and turmeric
- 1For spice rub, mix ingredients in a bowl with 1 tbsp sea salt.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Place a large flameproof roasting pan over high heat. Rub fat over brisket, then season to taste and brown meat on all sides (3-4 minutes). Remove from heat, transfer to a large plate or board and, when cool enough to handle, cover fat side of brisket with spice rub to coat evenly.
- 3Place shallots, garlic and thyme in the roasting pan in a single layer and sit brisket on top. Pour in 375ml water and roast brisket uncovered until shallots and garlic are golden brown (20-25 minutes). Reduce heat to 150C, cover brisket with a wet piece of baking paper, then tightly cover pan with a double layer of foil and roast brisket, adding more water to pan as necessary to prevent base from burning, until meat is very tender (3½-4 hours). Increase oven to 180C, spoon pan juices over meat and roast uncovered again until deep golden brown (15-20 minutes). Set aside covered to rest (15 minutes), then serve, thickly sliced.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am