“I first made this fudge a decade ago while working with Mark Limacher at Wellington’s Roxborough Bistro. Over the years I’ve refined the recipe to this.”
- 185 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 325 gm caster sugar
- 50 gm Dutch-processed cocoa, sifted, plus extra to serve
- 85 gm marshmallows
- 1½ tsp pure vanilla essence
- 190 ml evaporated milk
- 375 gm dark chocolate (about 60% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- 100 gm candied violets, crushed with a mortar and pestle, plus extra to serve if desired (see note)
- 1Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat, whisk in sugar and cocoa, then add marshmallows, vanilla essence and evaporated milk. Stir continuously until marshmallows melt (10-15 minutes), then strain through a fine sieve into a large bowl. Whisk in chocolate and when completely melted, add violets. Mix well and pour into a greased and baking paper-lined 15cm x 20cm cake pan or plastic container. Smooth top, cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until firm (about 2 hours). To serve, using a hot knife, cut into squares, dust with cocoa and serve.
Candied violets are available from
and select delicatessens.