Coated in a sweet miso glaze and grilled on a hibachi, Yakitori Yurippi's zucchini skewers are an excellent side dish or appetiser that your dinner party guests will love.
- 2 zucchini (250gm each), cut into 2cm rounds
- Miso glaze, for brushing (see miso glaze)
- Pickled cucumber, to serve
- 50 ml sake
- 50 ml mirin
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 200 gm aka (red) miso
- 1Preheat a charcoal barbecue (hibachi) or gas barbecue to high.
- 2Meanwhile, thread 2 pieces of zucchini onto bamboo skewers (soak skewers for 30 minutes in water to minimise burning).
- 3Grill, turning frequently until starting to colour (2-3 minutes). Brush with miso glaze; grill for a further 1 minute or until charred. Serve brushed with extra miso glaze and pickled cucumber on the side.
- 4Combine sake, mirin and caster sugar in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves (3-5 minutes). Transfer to a bowl with miso and stir to combine. Cool, then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 months.