- 1 Spanish onion
- 180 gm each coarsely minced pork and veal
- 2 tbsp each coarsely chopped oregano and flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to serve
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1½ tsp each ground sweet paprika and cumin
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 250 gm cherry tomatoes, halved
- 200 gm (1 cup) Calasparra rice (see note)
- 600 ml hot chicken stock
- 50 ml fino sherry
- 100 gm flat beans, trimmed and cut into 2cm lengths
- 1Finely chop half the onion and combine in a bowl with meat, herbs, half the garlic and half the spices, then roll into walnut-sized balls. Heat oil in a large, deep-sided frying pan over medium-high heat, add meatballs and brown on all sides (2-3 minutes), remove from pan and set aside.
- 2Thinly slice remaining onion, add to pan with tomato, remaining garlic and remaining spices and sauté until tender (3-4 minutes). Add rice, stir to toast (1 minute), then add stock and sherry. Cover, cook for 10 minutes, add meatballs, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add beans, cover and simmer until stock is absorbed and beans are tender (2-3 minutes). Serve hot, scattered with extra herbs.
Note Calasparra is a short-grain Spanish rice available from select delicatessens. This recipe is from the October 2009 issue of Australian Gourmet Traveller.