Consider swapping the bread for parmesan-rich polenta or mashed potato to make this more of a meal or add a salad of bitter leaves to keep it lighter.
- 250 gm small green lentils, rinsed
- 10 thick pork and fennel sausages
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tsp finely chopped rosemary
- 125 ml dry red wine
- 400 gm canned cherry tomatoes
- Crusty bread (optional), to serve
- 1Cook lentils in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender (18-20 minutes), drain well and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, remove casing from 2 sausages and coarsely crumble. Prick remaining sausages with a fork. Heat oil in a large casserole over medium-high heat, brown whole sausages all over (3-4 minutes), then transfer to a plate. Add crumbled sausage to pan and cook, stirring and breaking up slightly, until well browned (3-5 minutes). Add celery, onion, carrot, garlic and rosemary, season to taste and cook until softened (5-6 minutes). Deglaze with wine and reduce by half (1-2 minutes), return sausages to pan, add tomatoes and braise until sausages are just cooked (3-4 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in lentils. Season to taste and serve with bread.