Chill cucumber and yoghurt before you begin.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 6 Lebanese cucumbers, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 1kg)
- 560 gm thick natural yoghurt (2 cups)
- 1 cup dill sprigs (loosely packed)
- 400 gm smoked trout fillets, flaked
- 2 bagels, thinly sliced crossways and toasted
Pickled cucumber and radish salad
- 3 Lebanese cucumbers, partially peeled and thinly sliced diagonally
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup dill sprigs (loosely packed)
- 1 tbsp verjuice
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add garlic, onion and fennel seeds and cook for 3 minutes or until onion softens. Transfer onion mixture to a food processor, add cucumber, yoghurt and dill, process until smooth, season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then refrigerate.
- 2Meanwhile, for salad, combine ingredients and 2 tsp sea salt in a bowl, toss to combine, stand for 10 minutes, then drain.
- 3To serve, ladle soup into bowls, top with salad and trout and serve with bagel slices.