- 6 vine-ripened tomatoes, halved
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into wedges
- 60 ml olive oil (¼ cup)
- 2 banana chillies, halved lengthways, seeds removed
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 750 ml chicken stock (3 cups)
- 2 chipotle chillies in adobo, or to taste (see note)
- 500 gm corn kernels (from 3 cobs) (3 cups)
- 2 avocados, coarsely chopped
- of 1 lime, plus extra wedges to serve, Juice
- ½ cup (loosely packed) coriander
- 1Preheat grill to high heat. Place tomatoes skin-side up on an oven tray, add onion, drizzle with half the oil, season to taste and grill until skins start to blister (5-6 minutes). Add banana chillies, grill until tender and starting to blister (5-6 minutes), then remove skin (discard).
- 2Heat remaining oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir occasionally until tender (3-4 minutes). Add stock, grilled vegetables and chipotle chillies and bring to the simmer over medium-high heat. Season to taste, add corn and simmer until tender (4-5 minutes). Pulse in a blender to a coarse purée so some kernels remain whole. Season to taste.
- 3Coarsely crush avocado in a bowl, add lime and coriander, season to taste, stir to combine and serve on top of hot soup with extra lime.
Chipotle chillies in adobo are available from select delicatessens and Monterey Mexican Foods.