Add extra char to your tortillas by toasting them over a stove flame for a few seconds each side, then microwave them covered with a tea towel for 10 seconds to keep them nice and soft. Flank steak is the ideal cut of meat for this recipe - it cooks quickly, while remaining tender.
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 100 ml olive oil
- 800 gm piece of flank steak, at room temperature
- 200 gm sour cream
- 1 chipotle chilli in adobo sauce
- 12 flour tortillas
- Lime wedges and Tabasco, to serve
Corn, radish and coriander salsa
- 2 corn cobs, husks and silks removed
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ small Spanish onion, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 3 radishes, thinly shaved on a mandolin
- 1 cup coriander (firmly packed), plus extra to serve
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Finely grated rind and juice of 1 lime, or to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C. Dry-roast cumin and coriander seeds in a small frying pan over medium-high heat until fragrant, then crush with a mortar and pestle. Add garlic and 1 tsp sea salt, and pound to a coarse paste, then stir in half the olive oil. Transfer to a bowl, add steak and massage paste into meat. Set aside.
- 2For salsa, heat a barbecue or char-grill pan to medium-high and barbecue corn, turning occasionally, until charred and just cooked through (5-8 minutes). Cool briefly, then slice off kernels and place in a bowl with remaining ingredients, toss to combine and season to taste.
- 3Brush steak with remaining olive oil, season well and grill, turning once, until browned all over (4-5 minutes each side). Transfer to a roasting tray and roast until cooked to your liking (5-7 minutes for medium-rare). Rest for 10 minutes, then thinly slice.
- 4Blend sour cream and chipotle chilli in a small food processor to combine and season to taste.
- 5Char tortillas (30 seconds to 1 minute each side), top with sliced steak, chipotle sour cream and corn, radish and coriander salsa, scatter with extra coriander, season to taste, and serve with lime wedges and hot sauce.