- 2 bunches of asparagus, trimmed and cut into 6cm lengths
- 300 gm podded peas (about 900gm unpodded)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 thin slices of round pancetta
- 200 gm soft goat’s cheese, such as bûche chèvre, crumbled (see note)
- ¾ iceberg lettuce, shredded
- ¼ cup thinly sliced mint
- ½ cup (loosely packed) chervil sprigs
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- 1Blanch asparagus in boiling salted water for 1 minute. Add peas and cook for another minute. Drain, refresh in iced water, then drain again.
- 2Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook pancetta in batches, turning occasionally until crisp (1-2 minutes). Drain on absorbent paper.
- 3Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl, add blanched vegetables and crumbled pancetta, season to taste and toss well to combine. Serve with sourdough bread.
Bûche chèvre comes in a log shape and is available from select supermarkets, delicatessens and specialist cheese shops. If unavailable, you can substitute with another fresh soft goat’s cheese.