These warm and sticky golden dumplings will disappear in a snap, so you'd best make a double batch. Ginger and golden syrup is just the beginning – try these with ground cardamom or a rich, floral honey.
- 350 gm (1 cup) golden syrup
- 225 gm (1½ cups) self-raising flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 80 gm chilled butter, chopped
- 50 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- Vanilla bean ice-cream, to serve
- 1Bring syrup and 290ml water to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve.
- 2Meanwhile, sift flour into a bowl, add spices and a pinch of salt, stir to combine, then rub in butter with your fingertips until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre.
- 3Whisk milk and eggs in a jug to combine, then add to well and mix to form a wet dough. With damp hands, roll tablespoons of dough into balls and add to syrup in pan. Turn occasionally, until dumplings are golden and puffed (5-6 minutes).
- 4Serve hot drizzled with syrup and topped with vanilla bean ice-cream.