"Hash, or bubble and squeak, is all about using up left over meat and vegetables from a roast," says McEnearney. "So if you have any of these just mix them all together and proceed from the stage where you add the parsley and spring onion. Otherwise, read on."
- 3-4 firm, floury potatoes (about 500gm), such as Kind Edward or Andean Sunrise peeled and cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 small parsnips, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 large carrot, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, crushed
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 2 cups (loosely packed) cavolo nero or other leafy green, shredded
- 30 gm (¼ cup) peas
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 150 gm roasted meat such as beef flank, diced
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- Handful of flat-leaf parsley, thinly sliced
- 30 gm unsalted butter (optional; if making patties)
- Olive oil, for frying
- 4 eggs
- 1Preheat oven to 250°C. Boil potato, parsnip and carrot in salted water until just tender (15 minutes). Drain well.
- 2Meanwhile, place a roasting pan over medium heat, add onion, garlic and 20ml oil and sauté until soft and translucent (8-10 minutes). Add cavolo nero, sauté until tender, add peas and thyme and cook for a further minute, then remove from pan.
- 3Heat remaining oil in roasting pan. Add drained vegetables and roast until golden and crisp (10-14 minutes). Remove and set aside.
- 4Add meat and spring onion to pan and stir to warm through, then add reserved vegetables and most of the parsley and gently mix together. Season to taste and follow step 5, or form into patties. If making patties, form into 150gm-200gm patties (you may need to mash vegetables to form) and heat a frying pan with butter, add patties and fry, turning once, until crisp (6-8 minutes).
- 5Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and add oil. Gently crack eggs into a bowl (do not mix) then pour eggs into hot pan. Cook until whites are just set but yolks are still runny (2-3 minutes), then cut between each egg and lift out.
- 6Place hash on warm plates, top with a fried egg, scatter with remaining parsley and serve immediately.