Ma po dou fu
- 60 ml (¼ cup) Shaoxing wine (see note)
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp bean paste (see note)
- 2 small red chillies, finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 500 gm minced pork
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 cm piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 2½ tsp crushed Sichuan pepper
- 1 green onion, finely sliced
- 500 gm silken tofu, cut into 3cm pieces
- ½ tsp cornflour mixed with 1 tsp water
- 1Combine Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, bean paste and chillies in a bowl and set aside. Heat oil in a wok over high heat, add pork, garlic and ginger and stirfry until starting to brown (1-2 minutes). Add Sichuan pepper and stirfry to combine, then add soy mixture and white part of green onion and bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium-high and cook until pork is cooked through and tender (8-10 minutes). Add tofu and cornflour mixture and stir gently until sauce is thickened slightly and tofu is warmed through (1-2 minutes). Serve scattered with remaining green onion and steamed rice to the side.
Shaoxing wine and bean paste are available from Asian supermarkets.