Mushroom soup has to be the easiest soup to whip up as mushrooms take no time to cook. The sherry is a little old fashioned, but it’s what really makes this dish. If you can’t find chestnut or king brown mushrooms to sauté, then any selection of European mushrooms will be fine.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 70 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 large field mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) chicken stock
- 80 ml manzanilla sherry
- 60 gm (¼ cup) double cream
- 50 gm each chestnut mushrooms and thickly sliced king brown mushrooms
- crème fraîche
- 1Heat olive oil and 50gm butter in a saucepan over high heat until butter is foaming. Add garlic and field mushrooms and stir continuously until mushrooms are just golden and tender (5-10 minutes). Add flour and stir for 1 minute, add stock and sherry and cook until mushrooms are very tender (15-20 minutes). Add cream and process in a blender until smooth. Season to taste.
- 2Meanwhile, heat remaining butter in a large frying pan over high heat until foaming, add chestnut and king brown mushrooms and cook until golden and tender (3-5 minutes). Serve soup hot, topped with crème fraîche and sautéed mushrooms.